LEAKING HOME SPACES: SIGNS AND HOW TO FIX THEM DURING RENOVATION PHASE | SAINT-GOBAIN WEBER INDIA
"Home is where the heart is," "Every home tells a story" - you may have heard or read these well-known phrases indicating the value of the residence in our life. Home is a feeling transformed into a physical location for a lifetime. It is a meeting place, refuge, and sanctuary that provides an escape from the activity and invasiveness of the world.
Over the years, we have built houses for ourselves and those we love, in diverse cultures. Needless to say, just like many birds and mammals, humans have evolved to be house builders, homemakers, and home-nesters. Home is a sanctuary for serenity and happy sentiments. It is often pondered about, valued, and longed for as an anchor of our existence. Without a doubt, everyone wishes for their place to be exceptional, sturdy, and aesthetic in all manners; just as they dreamt about it at a certain phase of their lives. However, some aspects can turn a homeowner's dream into a nightmare.
Because the environment we live in fluctuates drastically over time, our every home takes the load of anything from extreme climatic conditions which result in dampness and moisture in buildings. This typically impacts your home's structural integrity, which can cause tremendous damage if ignored over time.
Dampness within the home is a major source of concern, impairing different areas of your living space. Damp conditions not only create an uncomfortable living environment that harms our overall health and well-being. Hence, the right waterproofing solutions play a major role in keeping places and people safe.
Waterproofing is a vital component while constructing a building or home. Waterproofing membranes and coatings are used to safeguard the structure's integrity. However, many families report damage and issues caused by poor waterproofing during construction. This is the point at which one contemplates restoring the worn-out flooring and walls. If you do not include waterproofing in your home renovation list, all of your plans to revamp your home will be useless. Most leakage, seepage, and dampness are undetectable (no visible sign) which propels bigger damage to the home. Here is a guide from the house of Saint-Gobain Weber India that can help you to identify the different sources of dampness and seepage, as well as the solutions you must consider to rectify leakage issues before it's too late.
There are mainly 3 types of dampness
- Rising dampness: This occurs when moisture from the ground rises through the foundation and permeates the walls by capillary action. This is why, before buying a property, one should ensure that the structure is adequately waterproofed during construction.
- Penetrating dampness: Caused by constant water leaks and seepage in the walls. Penetrating dampness is usually caused by harsh climate conditions.
- Condensation dampness: This is generated by our regular home-based activities such as cooking, bathing, drying clothing, and a lack of ventilation; all of these things contribute to a humid interior atmosphere. Though condensation occurs much earlier, it is not noticeable until fungus appears on the walls. It may quickly harm the paint if left unchecked.
How to detect and treat dampness in your home's walls and floors?
- The dampness in the wall feels cold when you touch it. It also causes the flaking of paint and bubbling of wallpapers. Moreover, fungal growth form greenish and grey spots on the walls. Many times, this is caused by seepage in exterior walls. Moreover, you can see water droplets on walls if there are any leakage issues. Using polymerized premixed plaster on walls can help prevent damage to the wall which also reduced reduced repair and maintenance costs. For filling cracks in existing plaster walls, one can go for weberwall crackbond, a flexible and easy-to-apply crack filling
mortar. For additional protection, apply 2 coats of weberdry ACR Seal on external walls to prevent generation of cracks in future.
- When it comes to flooring, one can easily spot leakage problems. The sudden presence of pests shifted tiles, and the growth of mold between joints are the warning signs of dampness in flooring. A digital, pinless meter may be the best option for monitoring flooring moisture as it can quickly detect moistness in flooring without leaving pin holes at the site. For concrete floors, if small chips of concrete separate from the rest of the floor, there may be moisture in the concrete Typically, that could be signs of water leaking from pipes underneath the slab. Often, old and damaged plastering causes water to seep in, leading to dampness and moisture build-up. This needs immediate attention because it can be fatal to your property.
- Black and green-colored fungi and cracks may develop in the wall and floor corners due to water seepage, especially near window and door frames. For the treatment of dynamic cracks at vertical and horizontal corners of bathrooms, balconies, sumps, and drains consider using silicon sealant on joints and expandable PU foam in gaps of window and door frames.
- In wet areas like the bathroom, the most visible sign of leakage is the flaking of paint or plaster under the sink. Above all, the strong musty smell within these areas is a clear indication of dampness and moisture which calls for proper waterproofing. In such a scenario, opt for weberdry moistseal waterproofing
mortarwhich seals the concrete pores and arrests the flow of water in either direction. It is best suited for the walls where the water source is not detectable.
- Check the tile joint in moisture-laden areas of your home. The patches of fungus show the grouting's quality is compromised and might let water seep through the tile gaps. Redo the tile joints of the wall and floor with a water-repellent tile grout range.
- Your structure's integrity is highly dependent on your roof/terrace. This area highly endures extreme climatic conditions which makes it prone to seepage issues. Even the tiniest roof leak can cause significant damage to your property. And if it is not repaired promptly, it can lead to mold development, which is not only unsightly but also hazardous to the health of residents. That is why discovering the cause of your roof leak and having it repaired as soon as possible should be your first concern. Water stains on your ceiling, bulging patches on interior walls, and spots on exterior walls are the key signs of roof leaks. Get weberdy PUR basic – PU-based waterproofing membrane suitable for waterproofing of exposed roofs, you can use it over old bitumen felts. You can go with acrylic waterproof coating for the façade wall which refrains the development of fungus or microbes.
- The balcony is the place to unwind from a hectic routine, where you can take in the fresh air and enjoy the scenario. Because most people believe that a balcony is separate from the main structure of the house, turning a blind eye to balcony leaking might lead worsen leakage problems in other areas of your home. The following are indications of a leaky balcony: Tented tiles of the balcony floor, puddles developing on flooring, algae, and crack build-up on the wall. If you observe any of these signs get weberdry PUR trans-transparent waterproofing membrane which enables you to waterproof flooring without the need for tile removal.
Waterproofing your walls and floors when renovating your house is a reasonable thing to undertake amid India's altering climate circumstances. Waterproofing materials and technologies have changed the current construction industry, not only because of their convenience of use, but also because of their increased
Disclaimer: The recommendations in this blog are based on general guidelines and for any waterproofing, it is essential to identify the source of water leakage/seepage and plug the same. We recommend to consult a technical expert before zeroing upon any solution.